Considered to be one of the finest monuments of Lamaism (a branch of Buddhism) in the city of Beijing, Xihuang Temple is located at the Andingmenwai Huangsi Avenue in Chaoyang District, Beijing.
Originally there were two temples of its kind: Donghuang Temple and Xihuang Temple. Donghuang Temple was demolished in 1958 during the period of the Great Leap Forward. The Xihuang temple was built in the year of 1652 following the construction of the Donghuang Temple as a temporary accommodation for the 5th Dalai Lama's visit to Beijing. In the period of Emperor Qianlong of the Qing dynasty, the 6th Tibetan Panchen Lama lived at the Xihuang Temple to celebrate Qianlongs birthday. Unfortunately, he was died of illness two months later. In order to memorize him, emperor Qianlong ordered to build a Qingjing-Huacheng Pagoda in the western part of the temple to house the 6th Tibetan Panchen Lamas clothes, hat and Buddhist books. The pagoda built by exquisite white rocks on a three meters high stone base with four turret-shaped stone pillars stand in each corner. It is a highly valued excellent art works with finely carved Buddhist pictures and lines. The pagoda, which combines the Indian, Tibetan and the Han nationality's architecture style, is an outstanding construction in the Xihuang Temple. Besides, the China Tibetan Senior Buddhism College is also located at the temple and many Tibetan and Mongolia hierarchs are studying here.