Located at the northern part of Huairou County of Beijing, Hongluo Temple, which lies in the foot of the Hongluo Mountain, was first built in northern Jin dynasty in 348 AD and expanded during the prime time of the Tang Dynasty.
It was originally known as Daming Temple. While during the reign of Emperor Yingzong (1436-1450) of the Ming Dynasty, it was changed into Huguo Zifu Temple. The locals call it as Hongluo Temple due to the legend of the Hongluo Fairy Maiden. At the foot of the mountain, there is a spring called Pearl Spring. It was side that there were two big bright red snails deep inside the water. Every time when the sun sets, the snails would spit out red flare. Hence, the mountain got the name Hongluo Mountain and the temple was called Hongluo Temple.
Covering an area of 16.6 acres, the Hongluo Temple is the biggest Buddhist temple in the northern area of Beijing. The temple is divided into 5 courtyards. The central courtyard, taking Shanmen (the entrance of the temple), Tianwangdian (Hall of Heavenly Kings), Daxiongbaodian (Hall of Mahavira), and the Meditation Room as axes, and also has the Hall of Teaching Buddhist Scripture and two accompanying halls in the east and west sides; The eastern courtyard consists of a guestroom and dining rooms; The western courtyard comprises of Abbot's Cell and Shifang Hall; The eastern back yard consists of Yanshoutang (the room for prolonging life), with the Monk's Hut in the north and an arena for practicing Qigong in the south; In the far west is the tower yard which consists of the Ash Room for monks, the monk pagoda and the Pagoda of the spiral Shell.
The temple was the Holy Land of Buddhism at that time. Here was also the birthplace of Jinghua Qigong. The temple was a resident temple in which Buddhist monks were engaged in advanced studies, and abbots were cultivated for other temples. The Jingtu Sect of the Chinese Buddhism totally has 13 Great Masters. The twelfth founder---Great Master of Ji Xing or Great Master of Meng Dong and the thirteenth founder---the Great Master of Yin Guang had made sermon here and made great contribution to the development of the Chinese Buddhism. Therefore the hierarches from Japan and Southeastern countries often went on a pilgrimage and studied Buddhist scripture here. The temple was also deeply honored by the emperors of the feudal society. The temple was rebuilt many times. Emperors such as Kang Xi even came here to burn incense and prostrate themselves before the statue of the Buddha. The temple was therefore quite well known both at home and abroad.
Hongluo Temple boasts beautiful natural views. It leans against the Hongluo Mountain in the north and overlooks the Hongluo Lake in the south. Mountains are covered with forests and the temple is hidden in an ocean of pine trees. There are three famous scenic spots dotting around the temple, which are the pretty "Imperial Bamboo", "Male and Female Gingko" and "Pines Entangled with Chinese Wistaria". After many years of development, six tourist attractions as Hongluo Mountain, Hongluo Temple, Guanyin Temple, Beauty-displaying Garden, Pine Forest and Fruit Garden for Plucking cover a total area of 6 square kilometers and has attracted numerous visitors.